Citizen Engagement: questions comments concerns

Election - 2018 Voter Qualifications

Election - 2018 Voter Qualifications 


Pursuant to the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, A person is entitled to be an elector at an election held in a local municipality if, on voting day (Monday, October 22, 2018), he or she, 

(a) resides in the local municipality or is the owner or tenant of land there, or the spouse of such owner or tenant;

(b) is a Canadian citizen;

(c) is at least 18 years old; and

(d) is not prohibited from voting under subsection (3) or otherwise by law. 2002, c.17, Sch. D, s. 5 (2); 2005, c. 5, s. 46 (1). 

There are three ways that you can qualify to vote in a municipality:

  1. As a resident elector if you live in the municipality.  You may own, rent, live in shared accommodation where you do not pay rent or live in the municipality but do not have a fixed address. 
  2. As a non-resident elector if you own or rent property in a municipality, but it's not the one where you live.  You can only be a resident elector in one municipality.  However, you can be a non-resident elector in any other municipality where you own or rent property.
  3. As the spouse of a non-resident elector if your spouse owns or rents property in the municipality or municipalities other than the one where you live.

Neither you nor your spouse qualify as a non-resident elector if you do not personally own or rent the property in the municipality.  For example, if the property is owned by your business or your cottage is owned by a trust, you would not qualify as a non-resident elector.

Students - there is a special rule for students who may be living away from home while they attend school.  Students may be eligible to vote in both their "home" municipality and in the municipality where they currently live while attending school.

As the Township of Lake of Bays is divided into wards, an elector is entitled to vote only in the ward where he or she resides, even if the elector resides in one ward and is the owner or tenant of land in a different ward or is the spouse of an owner or tenant of land in a different ward.  An elector's name shall only appear on the Voters' List for a local municipality only once.

If you are required to provide proof of identity and residence please check this list for acceptable voter identification:  Ontario Regulation 304/13 - Voter Identification

For more information on Voter Qualifications, please contact the Clerk. 



Carrie Sykes, Director of Corporate Services/Clerk
Township of Lake of Bays
1012 Dwight Beach Road
Dwight, ON  P0A 1H0
Telephone:  (705) 635-2272, ext. 236

To best view this website, please use Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer 9 or Google Chrome 

iCompass Technologies Inc.